Friday, May 4, 2012

Twitter Mailbag 5/4/12

"What made you decide to get into Autographs/memorabilia?"

This is a good question, and it all really started when I was pretty young. My dad always brought me to tons of baseball games when I was little, and like any kid, I wanted to get foul balls and stuff like that. I suppose after I started getting some baseballs, I wanted to get them signed(I'm sure my dad told me to), I can't actually remember getting my first autograph, but do remember my first baseball.

One of my absolute best childhood memories took place at Dodd Stadium, at the time they had switched over to being a Giants affiliate, and former Red Sox star Bob Stanley was the pitching coach. I had gotten to know him a little bit throughout the season, because we were going to probably at least 2-3 games per home stand and I always found cards for him to sign. On the last day of the season, the players on minor league teams usually throw hats/miscellaneous items into the stands. I was lucky enough to catch a player's hat, but then something unexpected happened.

Mr. Stanley came out of the dugout, scanned the crowd, then I realized he was motioning for me to go down to him by the side of the dugout. He said, "This is for you." And handed me his hat, which he had autographed. This is one of the first really cool things I remember getting, and it meant a lot to me.

Since then, I have obviously expanded my collection, a lot... haha, it's just something I have enjoyed since I was little. I see guys at games who are retired and still doing it, so I can only imagine what I will end up with when I am done.

No comments:

Post a Comment