Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Baltimore Trip 5 /21/12 and 5/22/12

I was really excited for my yearly trip, but going into it the weather was looking miserable. Even riding into Baltimore, I had never seen such dark skies. But anyhow, I got to the stadium and it ended up being really nice for both days.

Last year in 2 days, the only player who signed for me was Mike Cameron. This year I got 15 autographs, so I was very happy.

Day 1:

After the first 30 minutes, non season ticket holders are allowed to go anywhere in the stadium so I went over towards the Red Sox side, and the first person I saw was Daisuke Matsuzaka. I really wanted to get him because he would be my 99th Red Sox player.

There were maybe 10-15 people trying to get them, and he did about 5 or 6. I was one.
I knew all I had to do to get my 100th Red Sox was get ONE more, and I really was hoping to get it done in Baltimore.

I took a break from graphing the Sox for a few minutes because there was a former Orioles signing going on, which was free and had a very tiny-no line. The players featured were:

Joe Orsulak:
Fred Valentine:
Nate Snell:
 All three guys were very nice, and also took a cool photo with me.

After that I went back down to the dugout and got Rich Hill to sign(he has been on my list for a few years now so he was not #100.)
Before I go on, I'll just mention that all of these are signed in blue, the camera/lighting didn't seem to pick that up.

My next success was near the top of my trip. I will also mention that there was not batting practice because it had rained all day. Bobby Valentine ended up coming out, and talked to who I think was some family. He was probably one of the classiest baseball people I have ever met, and signed and took pictures with whoever asked. I talked to him for a minute about also being from Connecticut as well. I was the second person to get him.



Next up is not a big success or anything, but I saw Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, who is also on NESN, and got him to sign an OLB:
 My final autograph from day 1 was Orioles legend, Boog Powell. As many of you know, Boog owns a restaurant type place in center field and is often signing autographs:


Day 2:
I knew after such a strong first day, it would be hard to follow up. I was able to add 3 more autographs though.

A few people were asking Nick Punto, I was the only person to get hm yesterday because I was quick with the name:
 Nick became my100th autograph of a Red Sox player!

Next up, I saw former Red Sox general manager, and current Orioles general manager, Dan Duquette visiting people in the Sox dugout so I got him:
I got Boog Powell again to conclude my trip:

I also got to see Che Hsaun Lin get his first MLB hit!

Total Autographs for 2012:268

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had some really cool signings. I wish I started something like this a long time ago. I almost got Bob Stanley when he was the pitching coach for Double-AA Norwich, but I do have autographs from David Murpy & Tony Graffanino.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot, yeah I do mostly AAA and some AA. Occasionally I can make trips like this, or to local signings and stuff.

    ReplyDelete