Thursday, February 7, 2013

3x Grammy Winning Jazz Legend Branford Marsalis

Ahh. What a cold but worthwhile night. As most people were preparing for the blizzard tomorrow, I made the short drive over to Uconn to try and meet one of the best saxophonists ever, Branford Marsalis. Just to give a little background, Branford has won 3 Grammy awards, and was even in Sting's band for quite some time.

I was really looking forward to this  because I played saxophone when I was younger, and I had listened to a lot of his music when I was really into playing.

As I said earlier, it was bone chilling cold. This is what my phone showed when I arrived:


I arrived a little after 7, for the 7:30 show(which I did not attend, too much money). Because I had my stuff in my car, but still had to organize my bag and such. Anyways, I went in back of the venue around 8:15 in case he made a quick exit, but then I found out that the show was to go until 9:00(Not sure if this was planned or they started late). Anyways, I waited in my spot for quite some time, because I really didn't want to miss him.

His equipment had started to come out and was getting loaded so I knew he would be soon.  I believe he came out at about 9:55. So I spent a total of around an hour and  45 minutes outside give or take.

When he came out, here was the dialogue:

Me:"Mr. Marsalis, could you please sign?"
Marsalis:"Sure buddy, wow sorry you had to wait out here so long, you should have came in."

I was thinking well gee... if I didn't think I would get arrested maybe I would have.

But Marsalis was VERY genuine, moreso than anyone I've met in a great deal of time.

He loved that I had some old albums, and commented on almost every one.

I wish I had gotten a picture with him, and he would have done it, but it was just way too cold, and I had gotten what I wanted so I called it a night.

Record:


Just a full view of that whole record(Don't mind the bad phone image, you can't see the auto much in it, just wanted to get a picture of the album)
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

I would have gone with all records, but it's just way too expensive. I got the CDS very cheap online.

Total Autographs for 2013:38

Top Autographs for 2013:
 1)Sonia Sotomayor 2)Branford Marsalis 3)Jeff Bridges, 4)Chandler Jones,  5)Dick Groat

1 comment:

  1. By far, in my mind, your best success

    ReplyDelete