Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pawtucket Vs. Scranton-Wilkes Barre (Yankees) 6/30/13 (Dwight Evans)

I had gone to Pawtucket this morning as I had the morning off, and still lots of Pawtucket items to get done. Scranton's roster is pretty much a complete bust this year, but featured Brent Lillibridge, who briefly played for the Red Sox last season.

I got to the stadium VERY early, probably earlier than ever, yet Jackie Bradley Jr. and Will Middlebrooks were already in.

I like to mention the denials I get too at events, just so people know what to expect. Today's denials were Xander Bogaerts who WOULDN'T EVEN LOOK over at anyone, and Rubby De La Rosa who also ignored everyone. Alfredo Aceves also muttered something in Spanish to someone who asked(I didn't need him), but he signs pretty automatically most days.

Off of the Scranton bus, I only wanted Lillibridge, and even with his hands full, he stopped which was nice. As I said about Aceves in a previous entry, I'm crazy to use a baseball on him, but I like to get Red Sox on them.

 photo 110_0017_zpsda99af86.jpg


A nice surprise from Pawtucket signing wise was Bryce Brentz who I really just haven't seen this year. He signed 4 for me which was also surprising, because I had heard he was down to one-per.




 photo Scan0101_zpsfe8dfbdd.jpg
 photo Scan0102_zpsbdc30f99.jpg

Along with Bryce, I added 4 others to the team set.

Steven Wright:
 photo Scan0104_zpsa520f7ae.jpg

Drew Sutton:
 photo Scan0105_zpscba33b5e.jpg

Alex Hassan:
 photo Scan0106_zpsbb37d49a.jpg

Rich Saveur:
 photo Scan0107_zpse25ce442.jpg

Mitch Maier signed 3/5 of my cards. He is always nice about it, just doesn't sign a lot at once:



 photo Scan0103_zpsf14fdfd2.jpg

And the MAJOR surprise of the day was..... Red Sox legend, Dwight Evans!!!

I knew Dwight had been around the team as a roving instructor, and had been at McCoy as recently as Friday, but I always seemed to miss him. When a darkly tinted Mercedes pulled in, I had no idea who it was. It was pretty much the same car Jose Iglesias used to have, but obviously he wouldn't be down here. Then Dwight Evans stepped out and when he got close I approached him a bit and asked him to sign. He didn't say anything at first, but then he walked right up to me and was very cool about it. There wasn't much conversation, but I knocked a huge Red Sox heavyweight off of my list and he became #107 I have met. Brent Lillibridge became #108 minutes later.

 photo 110_0015_zpsb05f3bf1.jpg



Total Autographs for 2013:509

No comments:

Post a Comment