Saturday, June 1, 2013

Connecticut Sports Foundation Cancer Fundraiser 5/31/13 (Bobby V, Merril Hoge, Steve Levy +More!)

Yesterday afternoon I took a short trip down to Mohegan Sun to 'graph many different sports personalities, as they were checking in for the CSF's annual fundraiser that helps cancer patients, with things such as transport, and other various needs. When I arrived at the hotel, I saw a few other local collectors, so it was cool to talk to them. It was my first time getting autographs at a hotel, and it couldn't have gone much more smoothly.

NFL legend, Jon Gruden was supposed to headline the event, but he didn't show up. This event was supposed to be in February I believe, but it was snowed out by the blizzard.

The first person I met was Uconn legend, Rebecca Lobo. She was pretty nice, but has a very short autograph:

 photo 108_0250_zps186fd92c.jpg

The next person I met was former NFL player, and current NFL expert on ESPN, Merril Hoge. I had never met him, and I am happy to say that he is such a nice guy. He seemed to have no problem signing, and took a picture with me as well. I appreciate his work, because he is simply honest. I especially respected how he always stuck to his guns about Tim Tebow, when the network was covering him every second.


 photo 108_0252_zps9f91c5f2.jpg

After Merril was Uconn Football Head Coach, Paul Pasqualoni. He was quiet, but signed my photo:


 photo 108_0253_zps905f651f.jpg


Next was a HUGE surprise. Bobby Valentine was not scheduled to be at the event, but all of a sudden I saw him walking through the hotel lobby. I asked him to sign, and he said he would when he came back down. He stuck to his word, but made me work for it. He is a fast walker, and took me with him.

Coincidentally, it is about 53 weeks after >I last met him in Baltimore<, so it was almost a year to the day.


 photo Scan0027-2_zps87b79dfa.jpg

Another ESPN great, Steve Levy was next, and he was very classy as well. I asked him about meeting Michelle Obama, and he said it was just a great experience:


 photo 108_0254_zps2ce97be6.jpg





Last but not least, was the amazing Bill Raftery. Bill is known for his VERY famous, "SEND IT IN JEROME!!!" call, from 1988.

He was VERY nice and joked, "You guys don't mess around."


 photo 108_0251_zps77f5bfb1.jpg

I'll print a nice photo on there in the near future, as I will with Rebecca's photo sheet.



I wish I could have met Jon Gruden, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Total Autographs for 2013: 285

No comments:

Post a Comment