Friday, August 2, 2013

Pawtucket Vs. Norfolk(Orioles) (Kevin Gausman, X. Bogaerts, Jackie Bradley +PawSox Autograph Night) 8/1/13

Always a mess. That's what I told one of the head front office people right before the autograph signing started last night. Once a year, the PawSox hold an on field autograph night, where MOST of the players come out to the field and sign for fans. Unfortunately, like 2 of my other experiences at the event, it was moved to the concourse due to inclement weather. Luckily by now, I kind of know how to work the lines, to maximize my output. With that said, this was BY FAR my worst experience at the event.

Here is my entry from last year:
2012 Autograph Night

Here is what was wrong with it.

1)The geniuses in power at McCoy felt the need to split the lines, so you had to choose between half of the players. The right side was Amazingly better than the left side(Xander,Webster,Middlebrooks Vs. really only Bradley on the other side). If you wanted the other side, you had to reenter the line at the beginning.

2)As always, fans were allowed to skip tables(each table has an individual line), however, they put Jackie Bradley at the very first table which jammed up the line so badly, that often none of the other tables had more than 5 people waiting.

One funny experience though, was when I was in the Bradley line. A husband and wife were right in back of me, and here is the dialogue,"

Wife: "Are you SURE this is the Bradley line?"
Husband: "I don't know, I have no idea what he looks like."
Wife: "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? YOU WERE LYING TO ME THE WHOLE TIME?"

I quietly assured her that it was indeed the Bradley line before they went at it any more.

Anyways, before the event even started, I 'graphed both teams outside and did well.

PawSox:

I could not believe Xander Bogaerts signed outside, considering that the event was later that day. He was avoiding my photo Sunday, but signed it yesterday:

 photo DSC01907_zpsbd42fecf.jpg


Brandon Workman, who recently has pitched really well for Boston, was sent down yesterday morning, and I got him when he was bringing all of his Boston bags in. He became the 112th Red Sox player I have met:


 photo DSC01925_zpsde2f4f68.jpg
 photo DSC01913_zps7c4d2a0e.jpg

Alex Wilson also showed up from Boston. He is in Pawtucket to rehab:


 photo DSC01921_zpsdec00e40.jpg

To stay with the same theme, Brayan Villarreal showed up from Toledo. He came over in the Peavy trade:


 photo DSC01927_zps65cf450f.jpg

Justin Henry also signed my team ball:


 photo DSC01926_zpsc50fdaf4.jpg

I also was able to get Chris Carpenter:


 photo DSC01923_zps5d6cc726.jpg

Norfolk:

The Orioles top prospect, Kevin Gausman was in town, so he was the main target. He was extemely nice, and signed anything you had, took pictures with fans, and talked with them as well.

 photo DSC01922_zps5faa8f24.jpg
 photo DSC01912_zps2e2750fd.jpg
 photo DSC01911_zps0b3a2b55.jpg
The only other guy I got off the bus, was former Red Sox World Series Champion, Manny Delcarmen. He was nice as always:
 photo DSC01909_zpsc74b6b62.jpg photo DSC01910_zps46cf90c5.jpg


Here is what I managed to get at the event.

I was able to get 2 more Bogaerts autographs. This was really good because he will be getting called up soon. I had someone get me the second in exchange for getting them in 15 minutes early with the season ticket holder pass.

 photo DSC01906_zps1213f761.jpg

I waited until the end to get Jackie Bradley Jr. because like I said, his line was obnoxious, and I missed him when I got in early.

 photo DSC01908_zpse7dd501f.jpg

Will Middlebrooks was VERY nice as always, and for whatever reason, he just wasn't limiting. I got 3 cards signed:

 photo DSC01917_zps94282361.jpg

Ronald Bermudez was with Bogaerts:


 photo DSC01920_zps9cdbf7e2.jpg

It was nice to meet Allen Webster again. He was very nice in a sit down setting:


 photo DSC01915_zpsf51b9976.jpg

I got the always pleasant(yeah, right) Gary Disarcina:


 photo DSC01919_zpsb4cc3405.jpg

Charlie Haeger was giving an absolute crap autograph compared to his usual one:


 photo DSC01918_zpsbc4dac8a.jpg

I also was able to get Mark Hamilton again( Justin who reads the blog, The Haeger and Hamilton are yours.):

 photo DSC01914_zps6b71acb5.jpg

Clayton Mortensen was asking why everyone wanted to switch to blue. Umm, it looks nicer, and doesn't bubble?:

 photo DSC01916_zps917e032e.jpg

I added Anthony Carter to my team ball:

 photo DSC01924_zps9971765b.jpg

I did okay. Not even close to other years, but better than some probably. I feel bad for people who have no idea that you can skip the lines. It was really stupid for the staff to put Bradley and Bogaerts at the front. Many fans who just wanted an autograph in general, and didn't care who went home empty handed.

Total Autographs for 2013: 759

1 comment: