Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Former First Daughter and Author Caroline Kennedy 3/26/13

This week is my university's spring break, so for months my girlfriend and I had planned to go to New York City for our third book signing there in 2013. This one happened to feature Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of our late President, John F. Kennedy. Caroline was releasing a new book of poetry today, and although I am not a big poetry guy, I thought it would be cool to meet her.

Overall, it was a very mixed day. We got to the 7:00 PM signing just after 4, and were 5th-6th in line. The line never really got big until after 6:00 or so. Had we known  that this wouldn't be as crowded as our other signings at the store, we probably would have went much later.

Anyway, Caroline literally talked about the book for 5 minutes and stopped. We got our books signed super quickly(3 for me, 2 of those were for friends who wanted me to hook them up), and 1 for my girlfriend. Jon Muth, the illustrator of all of the watercolor paintings in the book was with her, so we got him as well.

Sorry for the shaky video, and random close ups, I did not have my normal camera around my neck, I had a digital on my wrist, and just wanted to get some footage.

Here is the video, it's pretty raw footage:


I tried to get Caroline to sign a baseball during the signing, but she robotically replied, " I can't do that right now." I wanted to say something about spending $80 on books that she didn't even write, but obviously I didn't.



After the signing, we went to get some dinner a block away, and we decided to come back after we ate to see if she was still there, because I had seen where her SUV was parked.

We waited about 20 minutes and when she came out I asked again politely for her to sign, and she gave me the EXACT robotic response as during the book signing.

Here is another video of this exchange, please turn your volume up all of the way to hear it. Caroline gave my girlfriend a super dirty look so that is why the camera goes down haha.





Now that I think of it, I'm glad that I didn't waste a $15 baseball on her anyway.


 photo IMG_1304_zps7120478d.jpg
 photo IMG_1307_zpsa1152be8.jpg
 photo IMG_1306_zps3de57e83.jpg
 photo IMG_1305_zps4a105204.jpg
Here are some various photos from the event:

 photo IMG_1298_zpsbd932f77.jpg
 photo IMG_1297_zps397fe2ea.jpg
 photo IMG_1296_zps1e5162a7.jpg
 photo IMG_1295_zpsd2ebfad7.jpg
 photo IMG_1291_zps7c7b36a2.jpg
 photo IMG_1294_zps6110f23e.jpg

Total Autographs for 2013:109
 Top Autographs for 2013:
 1)Rudy Giuliani 2)Sonia Sotomayor 3)Branford Marsalis 4)Jeff Bridges, 5)Bob Woodward 


No comments:

Post a Comment