Thursday, March 14, 2013

Former Beloved Mayor of New York City Rudy Giuliani 3/14/13

It's nights like these that really make being involved in this hobby worth it.

Central Connecticut State University had their distinguished lecture tonight, and brought in Rudy Giuliani for a dinner(the dinner was $125, no thanks), and a lecture which was free!

Before I get into the 'graphing details of the night, I noticed that there were hardly any students there. The place was filled to near capacity, but mostly consisted of older folks. Man, if I were a student there, and they got such a quality guest, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

So I got to CCSU at 5:00, which was EXACTLY when the dinner was to start(that's simply the earliest I could be there). I tried the front entrance with two other guys I know, but after a while we had heard he had gone in through a side door. After some searching, I found a loading dock, with a side door, with an Escalade marked with New York plates. This was so obviously where he went in that I was disappointed that I didn't realize this sooner.

I had no idea when the dinner was going to end, and the only info I had was that the lecture was starting at 7:30. I went inside to warm up for about 15 minutes, and when I went outside there were snow flurries. After about an hour, Mr. Giuliani came out of the door I pinpointed with his entourage, and I called his name. His security told me to stay back, but Rudy came right over and was very nice. I only got one item signed because he was very rushed, and it was below freezing, but I can tell you guys right now that that item will always be one of  my favorites.

I was the only person to get him, NOT at the dinner tonight. I tried to again after the lecture, but he waved and got in his car.

As for the lecture, I really enjoyed it. Obviously he was mayor when I was a kid so I didn't know a TON about his policies, but he talked a great deal about schools, leadership, and even immigration.



P.S. Rudy paid more attention to my interaction which was 15 seconds, than did Bob Woodward Tuesday night in a minute.


I got him on a baseball because he is an ENORMOUS baseball fan, and getting politicians on baseballs is always fun.

-My first choice was his TIME Person of the Year cover from 2001, but I found out about this too late.


 photo 108_0089_zpsab1e9093.jpg

Total Autographs for 2013:102
 Top Autographs for 2013:
 1)Rudy Giuliani 2)Sonia Sotomayor 3)Branford Marsalis 4)Jeff Bridges, 5)Bob Woodward 


No comments:

Post a Comment