Sunday, December 14, 2014

Train 12/12/14

Friday night was 96.5 TIC's annual All Star Christmas concert in Connecticut, which meant some of the biggest names in popular/lighter rock music such as Train,Daughtry, Ingrid Michaelson, Matt Nathanson + more would be around. The event was being held at a venue I have had success with in the past, so I thought it would definitely be a good idea to try to meet some of the bands.

I got to the venue really early, and after about 2 minutes of standing where I usually stand, the security guy kicked me out and said, "Since the parking lot isn't open yet, you can't come back until 5." I thought this was a load of bull $h!t because the parking lot was open, but I didn't argue in hopes of saving any chance I had of spending time there later. Anyway, I left and got some food and came back around 5 but it was clear that all of the bands were inside and the buses weren't even running, which made it even more clear that I would have to wait until later, so I just went inside and waited until the doors opened at 6.

Fast forward to after the show. I went straight outside, and Daughtry's buses were already gone, as were many of the others. The headliner was Train, so I knew I would at least have a shot at them.

After maybe a half hour, Pat Monahan walked out, and before anyone(there were like ten of us) even said anything, he waved and said he would be right back out. His manager told us he was just grabbing him another jacket, and as he said, 2 minutes later he emerged from the bus and came right over to me.

I should mention that the same security guy that kicked me out earlier, ended up telling everyone to line up behind me since I had been there all day. I thought that was pretty nice, and it made me kind of glad that I didn't go off on him earlier.

Pat was very nice. Looking back, I wish I had the "Drops of Jupiter" or even "California 37" albums, but I had made a last minute decision to go, and only had Train's newest album. Nonetheless, I was thrilled to meet Pat, and he was great to everyone, signing and taking pictures.

Jimmy was obviously the other guy I wanted to meet, but the band's manager said he had ran out right after the show since he had his baby with him.

Overall, I couldn't complain about my results because I had left the venue having met one of the most popular and consistent bands of the last twenty years.


 photo 10850012_10204009856660746_2917643332433223292_n_zps18ec7aae.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment