Friday, October 10, 2014

George Springer & Nick Ahmed 10/9/14

A few weeks ago I got an email saying that the UCONN Alumni Association would be holding a dinner in the middle of the state, and Astros star, George Springer, as well as Diamonback, Nick Ahmed would be attending. Both players made their MLB debuts in 2014, and Springer is of course one of the best young prospects in the game. Springer was born in New Britain, so I figured that if  I was ever going to have a chance to meet him before he got too popular, it would be at this event, just a few miles from where he is from.

The event was scheduled to start at 6, and the guys came in just after that. There were a lot of people there, but not too many cared about autographs or pictures, so I got to go through the line twice. They were saying you could only get 2 autographs per player, but the guys didn't care at all and were signing whatever people had. It was just easier for me to go through twice because I had large items.

Both players were very nice, and George especially seemed pretty happy to be there. I'm definitely glad I got to go, and I got a number of great items signed.

George was giving out some of the best autographs I have ever seen from him! Lately his signatures have been just his initials, but he definitely hooked me up!

I felt pretty confident going into this event so I decided to buy a Springer jersey. I'm very pleased with how it came out because silver markers/pens can be very tricky. I think I'm going to get it framed soon!

 photo IMG_0682_zpsd5fa7d8c.jpg

I also got a Rawlings bat signed:

 photo IMG_0688_zpse6dfe113.jpg
 photo IMG_0691_zps73fa3018.jpg

George also made the cover of Sports Illustrated this summer, so I had to add him to my SI sub collection, which has grown a lot in the past few years:


 photo IMG_0683_zps0f72085d.jpg

Finally, I got a baseball signed:

 photo IMG_0686_zpsfc4816c5.jpg


George was also nice enough to take a photo with me.

I didn't come as prepared for Nick Ahmed, but I had him sign a baseball:

 photo IMG_0687_zps78deae5d.jpg

This was a fantastic event, and I really hope both of these guys can break out big time next season!

No comments:

Post a Comment