Thursday, April 10, 2014

Boston Vs. Texas 4/8/14

Tuesday night brought many firsts for me. My first time driving into Boston, my first multiple autograph game at Fenway, and my first success there in probably 7 or 8 years(I just haven't been many times, and when I have, I haven't 'graphed).

I brought my sister and her boyfriend for some company, and we got to Fenway probably 10 minutes before the gates opened, and there was already a small crowd at the Lansdowne Street entrance, but nothing too major. When the gates opened, we parted ways and I headed straight for the Texas dugout, since batting practice was getting underway.

There are basically 2 decent spots inside Fenway to get autographs. The first is down the foul lines, and the second is right behind either dugout. I was one of the first fans down to the dugout, so I took the space right over the opening where the players go in and out.

There wasn't much action for me for maybe a half hour. Guys were just ignoring me or saying, "Not right now." But then in the time span of 5-10 minutes my luck greatly shifted.

Ron Washington was walking over, and stopped to sign for the fans with the special on field batting practice passes. Right after them, I called down to him, and he motioned for me to throw him my baseball! I was pretty excited as Mr. Washington is one of the best managers in baseball.


 photo 20140410_083425_zpsz5qtsvck.jpg

Shortly after that, Tanner Scheppers stopped to sign for me as well. Normally I wouldn't get someone like him to sign a ball, but it was all I had, and I was happy that he stopped:

 photo 20140410_083400_zpsztox15ot.jpg

What happened next was one of the best things that has ever happened to me autograph wise. I saw Yu Darvish, the Rangers best pitcher, and one of the most exciting, and best pitchers in baseball for that matter, walking towards the dugout. Literally nobody was calling him over, and when he got close, I called him,and although he is known to be a pretty decent signer, I was still shocked when he held up his hand for me to throw him the ball. I was so pumped that I got him, and in his previous start he had became the fastest pitcher in MLB history to record  500 strikeouts.



 photo 20140410_083524_zpsgozgcbiv.jpg

Unsurprisingly, I wasn't able to meet any Red Sox, but I was pretty happy with what I came away with, and I will most likely be going up more in the near future.

As an aside, my ticket was only 7 dollars! The seats were in back of the visiting bullpen. You can't beat a game at Fenway, and meeting an MLB superstar for just $7.

Total Autographs for 2014:48

No comments:

Post a Comment